M.P. 189.2 - 4th Subdivision - CV
The post office was established here in 1836. The original name was Clover Dale, named "after the many fields of clover and the shady dales." The town was platted in 1839 by Andrew T. McCoy and Moses Nelson. The first post office was established in 1836. In 2004 the town effectively enjoys two "downtowns." One is the original which continues as in the past and the other now surrounds the I-70 and 231 interchange.
Northbound local passing through Cloverdale. Weist Street is in the foreground. Date unknown.
Right of way looking north at Cloverdale. -Lloyd Kimble Collection-
Another look north along the right of way at Cloverdale. -Lloyd Kimble Collection-
Cloverdale, Indiana. Left: March 1982. Looking south along the mainline and the Cloverdale depot. Right: Same date, another view of the depot. It is in desperate need of a coat of paint.
Along the right of way. Left: Looking south, October 1976. Right: Another view of the mainline and elevator.
Left: December 1967. Monon freight blowing by the Cloverdale depot. Right: Looks like between 1982 (pictured above) and 1984, somebody found some paint. Cloverdale depot, circa 1984.
MOW Boxcar spotted at the former team track at Cloverdale, 1975.
Left and Right: Circa 1975. Former section house at Cloverdale.
Cloverdale 2004. Left: Looking to the north along the mainline at Weist Street on the north side of town. The elevator is still served occasionally by CSX. Right: Looking south from Weist Street.
Left: End of the track. Looking south along the mainline where the current CSX trackage stops. The depot was on the other side of the road. Right. Mainline makes a curve to the left. This is the former depot location near Grant and Market Streets.
Left: Looking north along the old mainline from Route 231. Right: Looking to the railroad south from Route 231. Note old concrete loading ramp.
M.P. 194.0 - 1st Subdivision - WA
M.P. IL0.0 - 6th Subdivision - WA
Wallace Junction did not appear on any timetables until the Indianapolis and Louisville (I&L) railroad was constructed to give direct access to the coal fields in Greene County. The depot was built in 1905. The junction and station were named for Chief Engineer W.A. Wallace who served the company from 1900 to 1910.
Left: Water tower at Wallace Junction, 1937. Right: Coal Tower at Wallace Junction 1937. -Lloyd Kimble Photos-
The last coaling tower at Wallace Junction. This is a 200 Ton Steel Coaling Station, made by the Ogle Construction Company, Chicago.
Three views of the Wallace Junction depot, early 1970's. Left: 1973. Right: 1972. Below: 1971
Left: Wallace Junction Rip Track and track gang. No date on photo. Right: Early 1900's, Bridge and Carpenter gang pose at Wallace Junction. -MRHTS Photo Archives-
Wallace Junction action, circa 1971. Left: C420#513 leading a freight, April 1971 at Wallace Junction. Right: U23B #606 on the point of a freight also at Wallace Junction, May 1971. These images and many more are available through the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society on the Ron Marquardt Images CD. Ron has allowed some of the images to be featured on this web site. Please purchase this and the many other CDs through the Company Store and help preserve the history and legacy of the Monon Railroad.
Wallace Junction 1984. Roger Nulton sends these shots of buildings at Wallace Junction, circa 1984. These are the same building in the J.F. Bennett photo above. -Roger Nulton Photographs-
Roger returned in 1987 and shot this photo. The restaraunt building has been demolished. -Roger Nulton Photograph-
Wallace Junction 2004
Left: Looking to the railroad north from County Road 675 E. Right: Standing on the mainline looking north from the area where the depot was located.
Evidence that a railroad once traveled through this location. Left: A railroad spike from Wallace Junction. (Maybe the Traveling National Railroad Spike Museum would accept this as a donation?) Right: Concrete slab in the area of the depot. There are also some concrete signal bases in this area.
M.P. 2195.3 - 4th Subdivision - S
The town of Quincy was platted in 1853. The first port office was established in 1854. The community is still active as typical rural Indiana. At one time there was a combination depot, built in 1905.
Quincy Depot 1903. We apologize for the poor quality of the photo.
Left: Close up of bridge abutment on the mainline. Looking to the railroad north. Right: Looking south along the mainline. The fence of the scrapyard is sitting on the mainline.
M.P. 197.8 - 4th Subdivision -
Left and Right: Spring Cave Hill. Curves near top of Spring Cave hill, taken from cab of northbound train, looking north. Circa late 1960's, early 1970's.