MP J 4.0 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

 

Postcard of the refinery of the American Lubricating and Refining Company, which was erected circa 1900 at Asphaltum. The oil in the area was of poor quality, and heavy drilling soon depleted the supply. The refinery was only open a few years. The company was chartered in 1904 as Indian Asphalt Company incorporates under the laws of the State of Maine. (While not recorded, it is speculated that the name "Indian" is an allusion to Indiana - meaning land or place "of Indians".) Indian Asphalt would later become part of Texcao.  -Courtesy Brian Capouch-

 

 

 

NEW 03-30-2009 Brick from the old refinery were used to build a series of houses on the county road a mile or so south of Asphaltum. At one time there 4-5 brick houses. Only one still remains. -Brian Capouch Photograph-

 

The once thriving community of Asphaltum? The name comes from the oil boom in the area about the start of the 1900's. A tenant farmer named Swisher was unsuccessful digging a water well and struck oil. The well produced 10 barrels a day. There was a post office here between 1901 and 1915. At one time there may have been 100 shallow wells in the area. The town was mapped out in 1909 (see above). Gifford built a refinery here. The line was abandoned prior to acquisition by the Monon. It never became part of the Monon system. Intersection of County Roads 250E and 600N. The C&WV ran a spur to this location when oil was discovered here. The tracks never crossed the road. The house in the picture now sits on land where a church once stood. There is also a former oil well on the property, which is pictured, to the right, below.

 

  

The railroad reached Asphaltum via a spur track. Oil was discovered in this area, and although the wells never played out, the C&WV built a track. Left: The end of the spur line. Working from plans, we concluded that the spur ended where the fence line is. A town plot map shows the driveway of the residence as Main Street and the track was to the south. The fence posts are old ties. Right: Located in the yard at the 250E and 600N is one of the old oil wells. The property owner, Mr. O'Connor, pointed this former well out to us. They added the stone around the old pipe. There are several others in and around the area, however, we did not attempt to track others down.

MP K 11.4 9th Subdivision -

North of Gifford was where the spur line began that terminated in Asphaltum. The line was abandoned prior to the Monon acquisition of the C&WV.

MP K 25.4 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

NEW 10-30-2014 Main Street, Gifford, Indiana. Crossing is shown. Mary Sholey collection.

NEW 03-12-2009 Downtown Gifford, 1978. You are looking towards the east.

 

The town of Gifford was founded in 1899 and named by Gifford. There were two stores, several residences, a warehouse and crib. A post office between 1899 and 1920. The town was never incorporated. Gifford, Indiana 2003. Downtown Gifford, looking southeast. The driveway in the picture is on top of the old right of way.

 

 

 

 

  

Left: Old bridge pilings. These pilings, on the south bank, are remains of a C&WV bridge used to cross one of many drainage ditches along the mainline. This location is southeast of Gifford and is accessable off of State Road 49 between Gifford and Newland. Right: Same location, looking at pilings along the north bank of the ditch, and northwest toward Gifford.

 

This picture is of the old ROW south of the ditch. In the distance is Newland.

 

 

 

 

 

MP K 9.5 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

 

Shire's house and store, Newland, Indiana. Store sat on south side of Newland Road, west of the church.

 

 

 

 

Downtown Newland, Indiana. 1910. Not sure of direction, but a good assumption would be looking east.

 

 

 

 

NEW 10-30-2014 Chicago and Wabash Valley mainline at Newland. We belive the road in the photo is County Highway 75E, see photo below. Mary Sholey collection.

 

Newland was given its name by all the new land created when Gifford drained the marshes surrounding the area. Established in the late 1890's, the post office opened in 1901 and closed in 1925. No railroad owned building was used as a depot. The main street of Newland, County Road 225N. The ROW ran southeast through this area. The exact location, as pointed out by a local farmer, was between the trees.

 

 

South of Newland, County Road 75E. Looking northwest back towards Newland.

 

 

 

 

 

MP K 7.7 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

The town was platted and name by Gifford in 1901. According to 1948 census records it had no population. The inventory shows a timber platform. No pictures at present. There was nothing to photograph. Other than points on a map, nothing remains, or is visible of the old right of way, it has surrendered to farmers.

MP K 5.5 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

Moody was founded in 1893 and was named for its founder Grandville Moody. The post office was started in 1842 at Plesant Grove (Randle) The name officially was changed to Moody in 1914 and the post office closed in 1923. No railroad owned station building was indicated. Downtown Moody. This is looking north from County Road 150S at where the old right of way once ran. Location is just west of County Road 150E. There is an electrical substation at the intersection, which is known as the Moody Sub Station. During the 2003 Bus Tour several people asked about the "Moody Lights". Here is what I have uncovered so far. The Moody Lights

 

 

 

MP K 3.3 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

There is little information on this location. Stock pens were listed on the inventory. Della is nothing more than a point on the map. It is best located by measuring about a mile from CR230E or CR 20E and hunting for the abandoned roadbed along the roadside. Good luck!

MP K 1.6 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

Another location where no information as to why the name Randal is given. At the time of railroad construction it was known as Pleasant Grove. Randal, Indiana? The "Randal" station was almost certainly a misspelling of "Randle." Thomas and Nancy Culp Randle, along with her brother George Culp and his wife Mary, were amongst the earlest settlers of Jasper County.  Randle's farm was almost exactly where the station is marked on one of the early maps. This is looking down the C&WV right of way from State Road 114. You are looking south, towards McCoysburgh.

 

 

 

NEW 03-30-2009 The original Randle Farm. According to Brian Capouch, who has been reseraching the area for many years now, Randle's farm was almost exactly where the station is marked on one of the maps. -Brian Capouch Photograph-

 

 

Here is the view looking north of State Road 114. looking down the C&WV right of way from State Road 114. Unless you had a good map, you would never know that a railroad once ran through this location.

 

 

 

 

MP K 00.0 9th Subdivision -

View Track Schematic

McCoysburg Hotel, date unknown. Jasper County Historical Society

 

When the C&WV arrived at McCoysburg, Gifford could not come to an agreement with the Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville (Monon) for a proposed at grade crossing. Construction of an overpass was started, however, never completed on the southside of the Monon tracks. McCoyaburg was once a thriving town. The Bradford Highway ran between Bradford, later Monon, to Rensselaer and once boasted several stores. The Monon Railroad built a large stockyard with pens to handle 400-500 head of animals. It was located on the south side of the Monon right of way. The depot sat across from the hotel and did have a telegraph and express office. The depot burned down in 1932. The Post Office was located inside of the grocery stores south of the Monon mainline and it burned down twice, ignited by sparks from passing trains. The town also boasted an elevator, east of the business district, built by Warren Poole and Walter Lee. Electricity for the town was supplied by Gifford Marrs, who owned a Delco generator plant in his garage. The community boasted 2 street lights.

Abandoned bridge supports along the former Monon mainline at McCoysburg. There was, at one time, to be a bridge so the C&WV could cross over the Monon and continue south. It was never built, according to information I have. The old C&WV right of way met the Monon here and started north. There is nothing left to see, besides the supports. The landowners have recently bulldozed all the old roadbed and trees away for farmland.

 

 

 

 

  

Left and Right: These old concrete supports are surviving parts of the C&WV. They rests south of the old Monon mainline in the underbrush. Gifford dislike the Monon and his plan was to cross over the mainline and continue to Lafayette. His railroad never made it that far. The supports were just discarded in the brush.

Looking south from the former Monon mainline. This area does have the look of a former railroad right of way. You are looking south towards County Road 650S. At one time the C&WV was to cross over the Monon and continue on south.

 

 

 

Location of the McCoysburgh depot 2003. Located east of the crossing on County Road 650N, according to railroad records this was the location of the depot. According to maps and plans now owned by the Monon Railroad Historical Technical Society, the railroad was surveyed south of McCoysburgh. Per the plans, the end of the survey was just north of County Road 60E and State Road 16, west of Monon, Indiana. And that concludes our look at the Chicago and Wabash Valley Railroad.

 

 


| Bygone Monon Main | 1952 Lowell Train Wreck | Tom's Railroad Pages |