MP 54.1 1st Subdivision -
The Town of Thayer was established in 1881, when M.A. Asherton and J.P. Stratton plotted a large hunting and fishing resort. A post office soon followed in September of 1882 under the name of Kenney, which was the last name of William M. Kenney, the first Postmaster. The name was changed to Thayer in honor of an early resident. A frame depot was built in 1881 and continued in service until 1949.
Train #33 arriving at Thayer, Indiana, early 1900's. Exact date is unknown.
Left: The morning express makes a stop at Thayer, 1914. Right: Classen Pickle Factory, Thayer, Indiana. Unknown date. -Gerald Born Collection-
Another look at the Thayer Depot. Unknown date. -Courtesy of Greg Jancosek-
Downtown Thayer, early 1900's -Gerald Born Collection-
Left and Right: Monon passenger train derailment, Thayer, Indiana, February 27, 1957. From the Lafayette Journal and Courier: "MONON PASSENGER TRAIN DERAILED EN ROUT TO LOUISVILLE, KY. The diesel engine drawn crack flyer en route from Chicago to Louisville, Ky. left the rails at Thayer, Ind., about 50 miles south of Gary at 4 p.m. yesterday. The five cars and engine tore up the main line for about 600 to 800 feet. Cars lean crazily in ditch. There were no injuries. " These photos are courtesy of Janet Hunley, taken by her late husband, Paul Arnold.
Additional images from the 1957 derailment. Left: Baggage Car 101 off the tracks. Right: Looking south along the mainline and damage. -Courtesy Mahlon Eberhard-
Left: Express Mail Car #2209, a former troop kitchen car. Right: Lead unit 81B.
Thayer, Indiana 2003. Left: Front Street crossing looking north towards Water Valley and Shelby. Right: Front Street crossing looking south towards Rose Lawn. The pipe-like device I believe is a detector, which according to the 1999 Monon Society Tourbook would be the approximate location of the old depot in Thayer.
State Road 55 crossing. Taken from south of the crossing, looking back north.
Passenger train #12 makes an unscheduled stop somewhere in the vicinity of Rose Lawn, Indiana. About a month later both "The Hoosier" and "The Tippecanoe" would be discontinued. Richard Baldwin photo.
M.P. 56.5 - 1st Subdivision - WS
Depot at Roselawn. Exact date unknown. Looking to the north. (Note: Copy has already been sent to the Monon Railroad Historical - Technical Society Photo Archives.)
The back of the Rose Lawn depot, circa 1909. This image was recently sent to me. There is no photographer, or collection was indicated.
Roselawn depot, another view. This photo is circa 1908.
NEW 01-23-2012 Roselawn, Indiana. Exact date unknown, but by the dress and equipment, it would be the early 1900's. Interesting image for several reasons. First, the CI&L wood sheathed passenger car. I am interested in all the crates and freight on the platform. Could these belong to passengers arriving or departing the Kankakee River hunting and fishing clubs, or possibly salesmen, or drummers, setting up their wares? No additional information is available. -John Maye Collection-
Looking south along the mainline towards the depot at Roselawn.
In 1882 the town of Rose Lawn was laid out. That same year some businessmen, Jacob Keller, from North Judson, Lon Craig of Winamac and Orlando Rose of Missouri open a store along the proposed route of the Monon Railroad. The source of the name comes from two sources. The official recognized version, or the one recognized in the county history record, is that the town was named after "Rose Lon" using Rose's last name and Lon Craig's first name. The spelling of the name was officially changed in 1893. The first post office was established in 1881.
The CSX Railroad still services the Jasper County Farm Bureau elevator. The depot was situated on the west side of the tracks, just north of the elevator.
Fellow Monon Railroad Historical -Technical Member, and friend of Bygone Places Along The Monon, Tim Swan, took this and many other pictures from the vestibule of a Monon passenger coach. The train is north of State Road 10 in Roselawn. The year was 1964. (The Ponderosa Sun (Nudist) Club would be off the the left of the picture.) This picture and many others are available on a picture CD that can be purchased from the Company Store at www.monon.com . Order one and help support the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society, Inc.
Derailment at Rose Lawn, Indiana. Exact date unknown. This picture was taken north of the crossing at State Road 10, looking toward the south. Harold Hueson photo.
#504 leads a freight at Roselawn, October 1970.
Rose Lawn, Indiana 2003. Picture taken from the approximate location of the old depot. Looking northwest across the State Road 10 crossing.
Downtown Rose Lawn? Left: Rose Lawn elevator, looking towards the southeast from approximate old depot location. Right: Rose Lawn elevator, looking toward the northwest.
Spotted freight cars alongside the elevator.
Amtrak action on the former Monon mainline, Rose Lawn, Indiana. September 6, 2003. The northbound Cardinal, Train #51, speeds through Rose Lawn on the way to Chicago. Two minutes ahead of schedule. Left: South of the elevator. Right: Passing the elevator about to cross State Road 10.
MP 60.4 1st Subdivision -
This village was perhaps named for the Welsh County, or town, via an eastern state. This information comes from the publication "Indiana Places Names". In 1921, railroad information indicates that there was an eight car siding at this location. Presently there are only scattered farms in the area of this point along the Monon.
Pembroke Indiana. Left: Looking north along the mainline. Right: Looking south from County Road 1200W crossing.
MP 62.2 1st Subdivision - Fk
Fair Oaks Depot, date of photo unknown. Combination depot was built in 1898 and shared with the Chicago and Eastern Illinois. Courtesy of the Jasper County Historical Society. Alexander Kent laid out the streets in 1887. The unincorporated community's depot was built in 1898 and was shared with the Chicago and Eastern Illinois. There was a crossing with the Chicago and Indiana Coal Road, later known as the Chicago, Attica and Southern.
Fellow Monon Railroad Historical -Technical Member, and friend of Bygone Places Along The Monon, Tim Swan, took this and many other pictures from the vestibule of a Monon passenger coach. The train is passing through Fair Oaks. The year was 1964. This picture and many others are available on a picture CD that can be purchased from the Company Store at www.monon.com . Order one and help support the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society, Inc.
NEW 03-29-2010 County Highway overpass north of Fair Oaks. I-65 is still many years away.
Left: Downtown Fair Oaks, 2003. This picture is of the former Monon mainline looking north from the crossing. Not much of a town these days. Right: Another picture of downtown. Taken November 1979. This was once the Fair Oaks School.
The former Monon mainline. Picture is looking southeast. The 400N crossing in in the distance of the photo.
And speaking of the 400N crossing. This picture is looking north from the County Road 400N crossing. Fair Oaks, what there is, is in the distance.
M.P. 65.8 - 1st Subdivision -
Looking northwest from the crossing at Parr. Off in the distance, the metropolis of Fair Oaks.
Left: Abandoned building. This building was once a business in Parr. Right: Old abandoned schoolhouse. Close your eyes and you can almost hear the sounds of children playing. Today this school building sits abandoned and alone. Michael Bresnahan photos, used with his permission.
Left: Looking northwest from south of the elevator. Right: A northbound freight at the 900W crossing south of the elevator. Meeting this freight sort of made the journey to Parr worth it. Nice to be able to shoot something other than empty track for a change.
MP 68.1 1st Subdivision -
Downtown Surrey Indiana, date unknown. The town of Surrey was plotted prior to 1906. Named for the English county, the first post office can be traced back to 1882. At one time there was a combination station and stock pens. The town consisted of seven blocks.
Left: September 28, 1976. Surrey Indiana. Looking south down the mainline. Right: Another picture of the mainline at Surrey. This shot is looking to the north from the south end of the Surrey passing siding. The town was once on the right side of the picture. The clearing just beyond the northward signal is where in 1957 the "Hotel Surrey" was located. This consisted of camp cars where the extra gangs laying the welded rail tracks were housed. Temporary track was installed, for the cars, but no switches. The Parr Elevator can be seen in the distance.
100S crossing at Surrey. Looking towards the west. Tracks in foreground is the passing siding.
Left: Surrey, circa 2005. Looking north along the main and passing siding at Surrey from the 100S crossing. Right: Old elevator foundations can be seen on the east side of the passing siding. You are looking north in this picture.
Left: North and Southbound meeting at Surrey. Southbound freight waits on the passing siding for the northbound Hoosier Cardinal to pass. Right: Several hours later the freight is still positioned on the passing siding and another southbound passes on the main. But first, this multi unit lash up had to cut two locomotives from the middle to take over the lead before continuing south.
Northbound Amtrak captured at Surrey. This short consist is at the north end of the passing siding at Surrey, on a cold February morning.
View from the cab at Surrey, February 2007. You are looking north towards Parr on a cold winter's day.
Right Plowing through the drift at Surrey, pictured to the left. This is from the Engineer's vantage point.
| Bygone Monon Main | 1952 Lowell Train Wreck | Tom's Railroad Pages |