Lowell Logo

John Sutton Photos

The photos on this page are courtesy of Mr. John Sutton, who lived in West Creek Township near Lowell. The Sutton’s, Gabriel and Almeda, came to Lowell/West Creek Township from Rush County Indiana in the winter of 1862. They crossed the Kankakee marsh while it was frozen, pulling a small building on a wagon with two oxen.  The building which still exists, was their living quarters for when they herded their sheep.  They settled in West Creek on half a section which is now US 41 to the East, White Oak Ave to the West, and 165th Avenue to the south.  In addition to the West Creek homestead, they purchased property in the town of Lowell, and operated a grist mill and a saw mill located approximately 3 blocks west of the train wreck.  Sutton descendants (including the sixth generation) still own and live on the West Creek property today. All were taken the morning of the accident. Thanks to John and Kenneth Sutton for allowing them to be used here.

(Click on image to view it full size. We have tried to improve the faded photos using photoediting software.)

  

Left: Wreckage strewn all over the right of way at the Commercial Avenue crossing. Right: Boxcars piled up on top of the former depot.

  

Left: Fire units remain on the scene. This photo you are looking south from Washington Street. Right: Heavily damaged tracks and wrecked tank cars that had caught fire after the crash.

  

Left: More scenes of the damaged cars. Right: Clean up on the crossing please?

  

Left: Looking south from the Washington Street crossing. Right: More of the damaged cars at the Commercial Ave. crosing.

  

Final two photos: Left: The crossing with damaged cars. Right: Piled up like cordwood.

Return to main page