Bendix Aviation Corporation
August 18, 1938. Bendix Aviation Corporation is shown with the Washington Street line streetcar in the foreground. Three days after this picture was taken busses took over in place of the streetcars.
Bendix Corporation was founded in 1924 to manufacture automobile brake systems. The company's founder, Vincent Bendix, himself an inventor, joined with French inventor Henri Perrot to manufacture brake systems in South Bend, Ind., in 1924; and by 1928 the Bendix Corporation was producing 3,600,000 brakes per year, chiefly for General Motors Corporation.
Bendix Aviation 2002. Left: Photo of part of the former Bendix Aviation plant. This part of the plant is now owned by Bosch. The plant was divided into two seperate building during the 1990's. Right: The words Bendix still adorn the buildings. This was part of the Coporate offices. Honeywell now occupies buildings that were once connected to the Bosch building. Pictured below the Honeywell building, formerly Bendix Aviation. To the right of the photo, across Westmoor Street, is the South Shore Railroad tracks, used during football season for loading and unloading Notre Dame football fans.
In 1928 Bendix Corporation acquired control of Eclipse Machine Company, Elmira, N.Y., which had been producing Vincent Bendix' automotive starter since 1914. In 1929, the company name was changed to the Bendix Aviation Corporation. They became the founder and sponsor of the Bendix Continental Air Race as well as the donor of the first trophy. He acquired rights to the Stromburg Carburetor for aircraft engines producing the device as well as other components for the aviation industry. The company was known as the Bendix Aviation Corporation until 1960, when it reverting to the name Bendix Corporation. From 1928 to 1948 General Motors was a major stockholder, but in the latter year GM disposed of all its remaining shares. Since 1982 it has been a subsidiary of Allied Corporation. The company is now an international manufacturer and supplier of automotive components, house-building materials, and other equipment. In 1999, AlliedSignal and Honeywell Inc. merged together.
Left: Part of the Bendix Aviation Corporation' vast complex. This building, which based on the amount of bay doors on the south wall, was probably part of the shipping and rceiving area of the plant. Railroad tracks at one time entered the structure, however today they have been paved over. Right: Railheads and lines south of the Bendix Plant. Photo taken looking northwest from the turnout on the present day Conrail tracks. The plant was once served by major railroads of the day and by the South Shore. Tracks still reach inside the plant, however, there is no evidence that anything is shipped in or out by rail today.