Let's take a tour over on the east side of the city, specifically Jefferson and Colfax Streets.
Our initial stop, 1154 Colfax Street. This residence, surrounded by the wall was at one time the home of John M. Studebaker. Built in 1881 in Neo-Jacobean style, the house appears in great condition today.
After traveling east on Colfax, we turn south on Greenlawn and come to a stop at 107 S. Greenlawn. The gates are impressive. Today the Trinity School occupies the land that once was owned, frist by Clement Studebaker Junior, and later in 1928, Vincent Bendix, of Bendix Aviation fame. Bendix sold the property in 1942 to the Sisters Of The Order Of St. Joseph. The original home was in the Neo-Baroque style. When Studebaker lived here, the address was 1701 E. Jefferson. Pictured below are the impressive gates on the Jefferson Street. Note the "S" in the circle at the top of the gate.
From here we travel west on Jefferson. The next stop will be the 1200 block of East Jefferson.
1249 East Jefferson. This residence, according to records of the South Bend Historical Society, was built by John Birdsell, founder of Birdsell Industries. Built in Queen Anne/ Romanesque Style in 1902, this is quite possibly the second residence Birdsell lived in.
1243 East Jefferson. Another Studebaker residence. Built in 1895, it was the home of Ida Studebaker and was built in Queen Anne style.
1229 East Jefferson. The one-time residence of John M. Studebaker III. Constructed in 1921, it was built in Period Revival style. The long driveway is one feature of the residence. Obviously it help maintain the seclusion which the Studebakers desired.
When researching the residences in this block, I came across a note about the property at 1248 E. Jefferson that was interesting. According to records, in 1907 J.M. Studebaker had a English Cottage Style cabin built on the lot at 1248 E. Jefferson. Pictured are: Left: The residence at 1246 Jefferson. Right: This is a cabin that is on the property that would most likely be 1248 Jefferson. The land appears to be a garden which is part of the property owned by the resident of 1246 Jefferson. Was this the cabin that Studebaker built and for what possible purpose was it built?
Left and Right: 1503 E. Jefferson. Built by Philanthropist Charles L. Millhouse. Millhouse started a finanace company and later he started the Mastic Corporation. Mastic went on to become the largest vinyl siding comapny in the world. Mr. Millhouse donated property and a lodge building which is today known as Camp Millhouse, a camp for mentally, physically and emotionally challenged children and adults.
Right and Left: 1404 Ridgedale. This is the other Frank Lloyd Wright designed home in South Bend. Although the design was newer that the one on Washington Street, it is still considered historic.
701 E. Pennsylvania Street ( Mareitta and Pennsylvania ) is also known as the Martin Wenger Farmhouse. Built circa 1851 , this two story wood frame Italianate home is a gracious reflection of South Bend’s past. This farm was one of the earliest in St. Joseph County and the City Of South Bend. Christian and Martin Wenger, arrived around 1940, acquired a half section of land on the south bank of the St Joseph River, more or less between Miami and Sample, including the site of the South Bend Toy factory. They cleared the land and Martin Wenger farmed it until the late 1800s.
| Historic Homes Main | Historic Homes 2 | Historic Homes 3 |